Monday 11 April 2016

ACCIDENTS LEND A HELPING HAND

Hi everyone


How time and years do fly by and you never realise until you look back and think to yourself wow.

What am I talking about you may say .... well I'll tell you.

I have final finished my Aran cardigan after putting off and off and off.  It is no lie that I must have had this project on the go for about 4 and a half years.  It was something I set myself to acheive thinking that if I could knit this then I could probably give any knitting project a go.

So why did I pick up this project again after so many years and why in the first place did I put it away.

Well first of all it required me to concentrate alot. So I would only do little bits at a time.  If I left it for a long time it took me ages to figure out where I was in the pattern and the decreases and increases etc.  

The reason I picked it up again was because I had it stored in a knitting bag in the corner of my front room.  This knitting bag didn't zip up so the enormous ball of wool that I was knitting with was always spilling out of the bag.  As you may know if you keep up with my blog on a regular basis is that we got a new furbaby about 7 or 8 weeks ago - 


Well I thought I could smell something very funky for a few days but wasn't sure what it was.  When tidying up and moving my knitting project I noticed that Reilly had gone to the toilet on my lovely ball of yarn.  Thankfully only a number 1.  If it had been anything else I definitely would of noticed.  My heart sank.  I didn't blame wee Reilly after all he is still learning his toilet skills in our house and things are still new to him.  I did though think to myself why oh why have you left this project for so long, you might not even be able to get this yarn anymore.  (Let me just tell you that I had a good amount of it knitting up by this point - Only one arm and the collar to finish).

A few days later I went back to the shop that I had purchased the yarn from (The Craft Shop in Belfast).  Low and behold I was lucky.  They still sold the yarn I was needing and in the colour I had picked.

I decided that this was the kick up the bum that I needed to finish my cardigan - So in the end I had to thank wee Reilly for his bad toileting skills because he was the friend I needed to get going and put away my fears and finish this project.

DA DA!!!


Here it is.  I'm so proud of it.  It maybe oversized a tad, but it is so warm and comfy.  The perfect thing to snuggle up in with a good book and a nice cup of hot chocolate.




I have been wearing it most of the last 2 days since I finished it.  it's softer yarn then real Aran wool and not quite as heavy.

I knitted it with 


In this pic you can see that it really was a big ball of yarn.  It took about 1 and a half balls.  So I have some left over to knit a scarf or something else with.

Let me know what have you been putting of for years that you are glad to have finally finished.

Cheerio till next time


2 comments:

  1. Bravo for completing that beautiful sweater. It looks like it fits perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I do love wearing it. It's a real comfort

      Delete